So, it has been exactly a month since Chris dropped me off at Rochester International (haha) Airport. It is hard to believe that it has already been that long! I have had so much to do here, it just seems like time has been flying.
I would be lying at this point if I did not admit that I am starting to miss home. It really didn’t hit me until the way down the volcano yesterday. Both Chris and I fell a few times on the way down (because when they say rain forest, they mean the rain part) and I was continually tripping on rocks and stubbing my toes. Thank god for the hard toes in hiking boots. I bought the waterproof ones for the Adirondacks last year, and it was a good investment. Although, if it is raining buckets like it was on our hike to the waterfall, water will run down your legs and enter the boots via your socks. But anyway, here are the things I miss:
1. Pavement. I cannot even tell you how sick I am of dirt roads filled with large rocks and stones. I am soooo sick of stubbing my toes. And walking through the street at night is a challenge.
2. Insect Free Floors. Sometimes I hesitate at night to get up and go to the bathroom. I am blind as a bat without glasses or contacts and I seriously worry about stepping on a tarantula in the middle of the night. Good thing I have my trusty flashlight.
3. Salads. Surprisingly, being gluten and dairy free here at Hacienda Mérida has not been too much of a problem. The only downside is eating different variations of the same thing everyday. The food has been really good. But I miss big salads with lots of vegetables. With dinner here you get a little salad with iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumbers. It is just not the same though.
4. Strawberries and Blueberries. Ok, so the fruit here is completely amazing. Don’t get me wrong about that. But, I spend all year waiting for strawberry and blueberry season, and I seriously hope I don’t miss the whole thing! I LOVE berries, and they really don’t have any like that available on the island. Maybe on the mainland…
5. Nala. Last but not least, I miss my baby. 5 weeks seems like such a long time in the life of a puppy who is turning 1 next month. I really hope she remembers me! Plus I just feel bad leaving here. Chris sent me this picture and I was so sad. I know she is having a good time right now with my mom and step dad’s dogs, but I miss her!